What is Email Marketing?
The answer is easy, email marketing is the use of email to promote products or services.
We have all had some kind of interaction with such campaigns, finding a saturated inbox filled with continuous promotions or ads from our favorite brands or website’s we’ve visited. Why is that?
Every time you give out your email, subscribe to a newsletter, or share data, you open an infinite digital gateway.
Email marketing allows businesses to keep their customers informed, and to customize their marketing messages accordingly, but once the user’s interest is gone, continuing to receive lots of emails can be really annoying.
Businesses face many challenges when it comes to understanding the basics of successful email marketing, but if we understand it from a marketing guru’s definition, it could be easier to clarify its real purpose...
“Permission marketing is the privilege (not the right) of delivering anticipated, personal and relevant messages to people who want to get them.” Seth Godin
If we understand that it's indeed a real privilege that our clients share their personal data with our brand or services and allow us to join them in their daily lives through their email account, we can shape a strategy for our email marketing campaigns.
Here we’re sharing the pros and cons of email marketing campaigns as well as some email marketing basics to help you decide the best way to build a successful email marketing campaign.
Email Marketing Pros
Email marketing helps you build relationships on a personal and deeper level so it’s necessary to strike the right tone in the message that you will be sending to the end-users. First ask, what kind of content do you want to incorporate in the message: articles, promotions, pictures, brochures, add logos, as well as how often will you be sending the emails.
You can segment subscribers by their recent open or link click activity, their interests, demographics, purchase history, subscription date, and other characteristics.
Once the segmentation is ready, check these other recommendations that fall into the email marketing pros category!
- Write your emails in a way that makes the readers feel you wrote just to them and not a broad group of individuals. Personalization gives great results. 26% of mails are more likely to be opened if they are personalized and have 41% higher unique click rates than non-personalized mailings.
- Understand your target audience, and then create a customizable campaign for better customer experience. Craft your message as a reflection of your company’s brand to build trust and closeness.
- Define your focus: Spend time and meticulous preparation in the design, tone, and strategy of the email campaign.
- The ROI is a huge pro of email marketing! Did you know email marketing campaigns have the highest ability to measure Return on Investment (ROI)? For $1 dollar invested you can get up to $ 40.
- Measurability: email marketing is very measurable.
After email, search and online ads are the marketing channels with the highest ability to track. On the contrary, webinars and event conferences are the most difficult marketing channels for measurability.
Email Marketing Cons and Best Practices
Though there are plenty of pros, never ignore the cons before launching an email marketing campaign
- Avoid a “sales-y” tone: Remember you are communicating with people and they always have an unsubscribe button.
- Grow your list organically, by this we mean don’t send random emails to people that are not your target audience.
- Collect as much information about your customers as possible, and don't neglect your website, as is the right place to start nurturing relationships with customers.
- It takes time. You can’t expect to build your email list overnight. Blogging is the best way of generating new leads. In fact, companies that blog generate 88% more leads, but the trick is that it takes time to grow traffic.
- Some people don’t check their inbox. This means that you have to use additional marketing channels. Consider SEO, Facebook Ads, and Google AdWords for getting the best results.
If you are still not convinced of the overwhelming pros of an email marketing campaign, check out these statistics:
- Email marketing has a potential return on investment of up to 4400%
- Out of 100 people with active email accounts, 91 percent of them check their email every day.
- More than 50 % of people who were surveyed said that well-written email campaigns compelled them to buy items they otherwise would not have bought.
The truth is that getting a bunch of emails from a particular service or company can be nerve-racking for an end-user, so the challenge for any marketing campaign creator is figuring out the right amount of emails and communication.
In a world full of competition, help your sales increase and achieve conversions by attracting new clients to your products and keeping happy customers with personalized email messages.